Thursday, July 13, 2006

Sitting here listening to this recording of The Color Purple musical. I'm reminded of one of my more memorable times this year--visiting NYC with my 'ex'-wife; not a romantic trip, just as friends. Although the play was a highlight, just spending time with her was momentous to me.

One thing, folk, you gotta understand about me. Although I'm a typical good guy, I'm also a f*ck up. I agree with any saying, "well who isn't," but I'll let that statement ride for now. Not that I'm beating down on myself or anything [yeah, right] or seeking some sympathy [that I don't want or need], just want to let that somewhat suffice as an explanation to you guys of why there hasn't been any reconciliation (read: don't ask). I'm still a believer, though *wink*.

At any rate, guys/gals how does the adage go? "Absence makes the heart grow fonder." I always noticed myself pondering ex-girlfriends after the fact, so it was already expected that my heart would 'flutter' if you will when re-united for the trip. But I swear this was on some entirely different level. I guess it should, though, right? It was something for me to think about holding hands while walking city blocks, sharing close space on the subway during crowded moments, waiting patiently (for a change) while she shopped and window-shopped. Let me tell you, I'm crazy about the woman. Somewhat insane, dependent on the angle you're looking at, but hey, it's my life. In the words of Rebirth Brass Band, "let me do my thang."

The play was very well-performed. I suggest anyone with the opportunity to see it go do so. Very entertaining and although I can't personally say whether it captured the movie or book, I was very satisfied with the play itself. I never tried the book and scarcely rememeber if I saw the entire movie. At least now I know that there was actually a point to it. For me, it emphasizes the importance of knowing that God has things under control, despite the adversities that we face through our lives. We think we know what's best for us, so we do what [and who] we feel like doing. Ultimately, though, His plan is wonderful.

Sorry I write sentences in comparison to other blogs I read. Just dropping what was on the brain.

Fellas, love your women. Shake pride. Stop destroying the trust and love that your women give to you. Ladies, ya'll love diamonds. Remember that diamonds begin in the rough.

All, I love you. I wish happiness in all of your lives. Live by faith and not by sight.

I think Outkast/GoodieMob said it best in "In Due Time" from the SoulFood soundtrack (lyric credits to DJ Flash):

"Just keep your faith in me
Don't act impatiently
You'll get where you need to be
In due time
Even when things are slow
Hold on and don't let go
I'll give you what I owe
In due time"

No comments: